Yes, the excessive heat warnings are still here in the Midwest and it doesn’t look like they are going anywhere soon. Bleh. Luckily, we are still in full party mode with our Elena of Avalor party from Friday! Putting up all the decorations and, of course, the main event of FINALLY getting to watch Elena of Avalor on Disney Channel are wonderful, but little tummies need something to nibble on. 🙂
I have always loved the ideas of hand pies and have been intrigued by empanadas. Honestly, I thought they were more of a dessert, but after some perusing on Pinterest I saw quite a few yummy looking recipes using refrigerated pie crusts. Who knew, right?
So, I decided to try the empanada “hack” with one of my little Minnie and Mickey’s favorite dishes: Salsa Chicken. Salsa Chicken is probably one of my oldest recipes, dating back to my first apartment days (so, the stone ages in other words). For such a simple dish, it is surprisingly tasty!
Even though these empanadas are small, they are very filling! After 2, my kiddies were more than full and I was nearly full as well. So, please take note! Don’t let your eyes be bigger than your stomach! Otherwise you will be eating leftover empanadas for days, which really is not a bad thing. 🙂
Follow me on Pinterest for how to live on a little and love a magical life!
- 3 uncooked boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 8 oz. salsa
- 1 cup Mexican blend shredded cheese
- 2 refrigerated pie crusts
- Place chicken breasts and salsa in slow cooker and cook on High for 4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lay out pie crusts, using a wide coffee mug or circle cookie cutter (3-4 inches wide) cut out the empanada shells. Lay out pie crust rounds on baking sheet and lay approximately 1 Tbsp. of Salsa Chicken on each round. Sprinkle with shredded cheese. Fold over pie crust round to form a half circle, pressing the edges together. Take a fork and press together the edges. Bake for 12-15 minutes. Let cool and Enjoy!